– Partner Content –
3 Legged Thing’s popular Punks range twist-lock tripods have undergone a transformation making Corey, Travis, Billy and Brian the most versatile Punks ever.
Like the Legends Range and Pro Range 2.0 counterparts, the new Punks 2.0 tripods all now boast three detachable legs, enabling conversion to monopods or booms, and with the addition of optional Vanz tripod feet (sold separately) can be made into tabletop tripods. Plus, all four tripods are available in two refreshed colour options and come with an Airhed Neo 2.0 ballhead which has also been refined.
3 Legged Thing Punks 2.0 Key Features:
- Three detachable legs so they can be converted into a monopod or boom
- Can be converted to a tabletop tripod by detaching the legs and adding Vanz tripod feet (sold separately)
- Twist-Lock style tripods with anti-rotation shims
- 23, 55 and 80-degree leg-angles
- Refined leg locks with improved grip
- Integrated 1/4″-20 thread for attaching an accessory arm
- D-Ring for adding weight for extra stability
- AirHed Neo 2.0 ballhead
- Two colour options
To see why the new Punks 2.0 tripod range from 3 Legged Thing could be for you, we’re talking through the 5 top features these entry-level tripods have to offer.
1. Redesigned Leg Locks For Improved Grip
Each of the Punks 2.0 tripods have chunkier leg locks that have a new external design that combines rubber pads and knurling for improved grip and leverage, even in wet conditions, ensuring the legs can be tightened securely in place. Weight has also been added to the leg locks, lowering the tripods’ centre of gravity which provides more stability.
Punks 2.0 tripods now feature anti-rotation Chicken Lips (shims) which you may have seen on 3LT’s Pro Range 2.0 and Legends tripods that use a single shim and legs with two internal key lines. This prevents the leg tubing from accidental rotation, which in turn enables stronger locking and greater rigidity.
“It’s particularly exciting that our entire catalogue of twist lock tripods will now have 3 detachable legs, which gives them a level of versatility above many of their peers. I’m sure photographers will love working with them out and about, working at home or in the studio,” said Stuart Boston, 3LT’s Chief Operations Officer.
2. Create A Table-Top Tripod
Billy 2.0, Brian 2.0, Corey 2.0 and Travis 2.0 feature 3 detachable legs, that enable conversion to a table-top tripod using 3LT’s Vanz tripod footwear (sold separately). The legs can also be combined with the tripod’s centre column for use as a monopod or boom arm.
3. Accessories Can be Added
3 Legged Thing’s patented Tri-mount plate on top of the centre column has been refined with a new design so you can attach accessories or use it for cable management. With the help of the 1/4″-20 thread, you can attach an accessory arm in order to mount a light or monitor to the tripod – ideal for when shooting video as well as stills.
4. Construction You Can Depend On
Corey and Travis 2.0’s legs and column are formed from aerospace-grade magnesium alloy, whilst the legs and column of Billy and Brian 2.0 are made from eight layers of 100% pure carbon fibre with aerospace-grade magnesium alloy hardware.
5. New Stylish Colour Options
All four tripods are available in two new colour options (who wants just a boring black tripod?) – Blue with blue ball head and blue accents, and Black with black ball head and copper accents.
Plus, after a number of customer requests, 3 Legged Thing has created a stylish new protective bag for the new Punks 2.0 tripods. The new, padded, clamshell-style carry bags feature a detachable, extendable carry strap, and an external pocket that’s ideal for accessories including 3LT’s alternative tripod feet (sold separately). The bag also has a built-in carabiner that allows the bag to be attached to the tripod D-ring to add extra weight.
As we’ve come to expect from 3 Legged Thing, the packaging the Punks 2.0 tripods arrive in is also super-cool. It was designed by 3LT Design Wizard Diana Meraz and features Punk dinosaurs as well as some new #3LTBoxGags.
Which Tripod From the Punks 2.0 Range Is For Me?
Corey 2.0 is an ultra-compact travel tripod, ideal for photographers who need stability in a travel-friendly package but if you need extra height, then you should opt for the Brian 2.0 carbon fibre travel tripod.
Travis 2.0 is the perfect general use tripod that is suitable for a variety of different photography genres as is Billy 2.0 which shares the same structure as Travis, but Billy is lighter thanks to its carbon fibre construction.
- Billy 2.0 – Compact, carbon fibre, general use tripod that is light enough for travel and built to withstand the rigours of everyday use. Billy 2.0 is designed for all types of photography. Billy 2.0 has a load capacity of 18KG and features 4 section legs/1 section column.
- Brian 2.0 – Compact, carbon fibre, travel tripod capable of reaching great heights provides remarkable stability and rigidity whilst remaining lightweight. Brian 2.0 has a load capacity of 14KG and features 5 section legs/2 section column.
- Corey 2.0 – Ultra-compact, magnesium, alloy, travel tripod for photographers who need a tripod small enough to pack into carry-on luggage. Corey 2.0 has a payload of 14KG and features 5 section legs/2 section column.
- Travis 2.0 – Compact, magnesium, alloy, general use tripod that is ideal for beginners and students. Travis 2.0 is perfect for those wanting a more versatile tripod for a wide variety of photographic genres. Travis 2.0 has a load capacity of 18KG and features 4 section legs/1 section column.
When Can I Purchase A Punks 2.0 Tripod & How Much Are They?
Punks 2.0 are available for pre-order immediately at 3LeggedThing.com and selected retailers, with stock expected in stores from 25 October 2021 onwards.
The Punks 2.0 tripods are priced at:
- COREY 2.0 – £199.99
- TRAVIS 2.0 – £199.99
- BILLY 2.0 – £289.99
- BRIAN 2.0 – £299.99
It doesn’t cost you anything extra when you use these links, but it does support the site, helping keep ePHOTOzine free to use, thank you.